History at a Glance
1920 - The Colonial is conceived, owned, and operated by the Pittsburg Amusement Company, which also operates the Mystic and Klock theatres in Pittsburg. Local architects design the building in accordance to styles established in large cities. According to The Pittsburg Daily Headlight, the Colonial Theatre is "constructed along the same lines as the Isis in Kansas City."
1926 – The Colonial undergoes an extensive exterior remodeling and complete interior redecorating.
1930 - The Pittsburg Amusement Company leases the Midland and Colonial to the Fox Kansas Theatre Company.
1942- August fire damages theatre, Muse’s Orange Bowl, and Colonial Hat Works. Colonial Fox closed two months for renovation. Colonial’s bookings transferred to Cozy Theatre. October Pittsburg Headlight announces reopening of theatre.
1950s – In 1958, the metal and brick false fronts are added to the Colonial, and when the current art-deco Fox marquee is attached in 1959, the Colonial becomes known as the Fox Theatre.
1983 – The Fox Theatre closes and remains vacant for over 20 years.
2007 – The theatre is purchased by the Colonial Fox Theatre Foundation and is accepted to the Register of Historic Kansas Places.
2008 – The Colonial Fox Theatre is placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
2009 – The theatre receives a new roof and new tuck-pointing on the south wall and west façade, funded by the Kansas Historic Society and the Pritchett Family Trust.
2010 - The Foundation receives United States Department of Interior Save Americas Treasures appropriation.
2011 - The Colonial Fox Theatre Foundation completes north wall repair, mold and asbestos removal, and basement de-watering projects.